Tuesday, May 29, 2007

you were racing in a car/ beside a boy you just don't know/ if he is up for what you have in mind

I just ate a bunch of popcorn, and now I feel pukey. But in better news, I spent way too much money on books today! Hurray! The problem with buying books is it's so easily justifiable. And then, eventually you'll be found, unconscious, in a huge pile of literature. I don't know. I just assume all excesses lead to unconsciousness in piles of things. We're lucky I'm here typing, and not buried in popcorn.

I blame my sister. She wanted to go to used book stores, and that meant I went in, too. So, having no will power, I'm now the proud owner of Cryptonomicon (Neal Stephenson; go read it immediately. I'm serious. Just be warned, it's a commitment novel... once you get into it, there's no getting out until the end), The Blind Assassin (Margaret Atwood), and Lady Susan/The Watsons/Sandition (Jane Austen's unfinished works). I also bought the DVD of Coffee and Cigarettes, which was one of those movies I read a review of and really wanted to see, back when I didn't live a short jaunt away from the Cumberland. Speeeaking of which, I should really go and see Paris, Je T'Aime, before four years pass and I end up picking it up randomly at a store on Bloor.

The movies I didn't buy (and it was a close thing) were The Saddest Music in the World and The Gods Must Be Crazy I and II. I'm racking up quite the list of things to blow my money on once I actually start working. Ooh, and I'm going to be putting aside portions of my tip money to save up for a Vespa and my next trip to Europe. I suppose I'll have to pay rent and buy food as well. Bummer.

As some of you may recall, I was briefly obsessed with getting a Vespa a while ago. I kind of forgot about it after I got back from my Europe trip. I can't remember why. Maybe the crushing disappointment of not being swept away to a charming villa by a gorgeous Italian man on a Vespa did it. Anyway, I walked past one the other day, and I couldn't think of one good reason why I shouldn't get one. I'm sure there ARE reasons, but that's later's work, after I've saved up the money. Probably by that point I'll be shacked up and be forced to put it towards a down payment on a house or maternity clothes. GOD, that's depressing.

I am trying, once more, to get to sleep before two am. I'm out of sleeping pills, but all they seemed to do was make it really hard for me to wake up.

No comments: