Wednesday, April 18, 2007

just hopin' you may be somewhere a' walkin' after midnight searching for me

Despite the fact that it a tres dangerous practice, I think "Walkin' After Midnight" by Madeleine Peyroux is my new favourite song. Thank you, The Hour, for getting me hooked on more tuneskis. In related news, my iTunes habit may become a problem.

So I finally did something I've been wanting to do for awhile: I went to see a movie all by my lonesome. And it was super by my lonesome, too; there were five of us in the theatre, total, and three of us were on our own. It was nice. I shamelessly spread my shit over other seats and didn't have to be mortified that I got popcorn down my shirt--which I invariably do, so why I'm still embarrassed about it when in company, I don't know. I saw Young Triffie, which was not as fabulous as I had hoped. I laughed, yes, but I expected more belly laughs out of Mary Walsh and company.

Still, since I usually do idiotic things in public, it's nice to have someone to laugh with. Also, someone to hold your popcorn while you de-jacket and arrange your things. I'm not overly social in that I need someone to go with me to do things; I'm okay with my own company and often just prefer to be alone. But I'm not quite at the confidence level that would enable me to walk into a bar and have a drink alone, unless I was waiting for someone. Possibly because of my people-hating ways--I wouldn't be comfortable if someone came up to just chat.

I have another two weeks to kill before my new job starts, and I'm not going to lie: I'm bored out of my mind.

2 comments:

Peter Lynn said...

You probably know it, but "Walking After Midnight" is an old Patsy Cline song. I've always liked that one. I heard it pop up in an odd place recently, though: It was in an episode of The Unit being sung from one man to another to calm his nerves while trying to disarm a bomb wired to him.

Susan said...

I thought it sounded familiar! I downloaded it because I was trying to figure out which Peyroux song they played on The Hour while they were talking about her. Turned out to be Between the Bars, if anyone's counting. I used my superior deductive skills and some poorly streamed video to figure that one out.