Monday, December 11, 2006

you say I'd be better off dead, well, I know

It has been officially mandated that the servers wear Christmas "cheer gear" for the next few weeks. I am suspending my ironic detachment (and dignity) for the next little while and I am going to WIN that fifty bucks. I fully intend to wear headbands with antlers, mistletoe, bells, tinsel, or all of the above. Christmas earrings? Check. I wonder if I can find a pair of elf ears?

In other thrilling news, I finally spoke to Sundeep on Friday. Have I explained this bizarre factor of my life to you? I feel like I have not. This guy named Sundeep used to have my cell number, and since I inherited it, I have been fielding calls from confused men who speak to me in Arabic. It's gotten to the point that I assume, when I see an unfamiliar Toronto number come up on my call display, that I'm about to get harangued in heavily accented English for Sundeep's new number. But now, I have it! I don't know why I'm so excited; really, it means that instead of explaining in my most put-upon voice that no, this is no longer Sundeep's number, I'll have to slowly read out his new one--more work for me, pretty much. But somehow it also feels like I've regained control of something, and established real ownership of my phone.

Spent most of today hungover. I went to My Apartment last night with two of my coworkers--well, one is actually one of my bosses--who turned out to be insane party animals. I'd claim to be too old to party like that until five am, but they are five and fifteen years older than me, respectively.

I was feeling pretty low energy at work today, and then an encounter with a table of assholes put me into a really filthy mood. One of the kitchen guys, who is slightly creepy, even on a day when I'm in a good mood, is one of those massager-types. You know, the kind of person who is really touchy-feely, and will decide that the best possible way to soothe an bad temper is to get all shoulder-massagey and huggy and etc. I was pretty much going to kill him. When I'm that angry, I feel like I'm giving off sparks. Why would you want to touch someone who clearly looks like she's going to flip out and murder everyone near her? I'm not a very physical person to begin with, but touch me when I'm in a bad mood and you risk maimings and death. Everyone else had the sense to be frightened of me.

I like feeling that I fit in at a place, and for the most part I don't mind my job. But I can't wait until April, when I'll be elsewhere entirely. My 24th birthday present to me will be my letter of resignation and a truck rental to haul my stuff away to the big city. I wish I had enough financial security to get my very own apartment, all to myself, but reality says no. Stupid expensive Toronto. My first place will probably only be until Jo and Toni can join me, anyway.

2 comments:

Peter Lynn said...

Isn't Sundeep an Indian name? I bet he's as confused as you are to have people speaking Arabic at him.

Susan said...

Alright, perhaps it's not Arabic. I can distinguish Polish from Russian and Cantonese from Mandarin, without understanding a damn word, but I'm lost when it comes to Hindi, Arabic, Urdu, etc. The point is, they's speakin' foreign at me.