Saturday, July 07, 2007

"I sat at my desk all day, with a rifle that shoots potatoes at 60 pounds per square inch. Can you imagine if I was deranged?"

There's this girl at work I really don't like. There's one I actively despise, but this one I just... don't like. She's newer than I am, and you can tell, you can just TELL, that she is one of those girls that is used to getting things because she's tiny and pretty. I have to turn off part of my brain to talk to her; she's vapid in that special way that will interrupt a conversation to talk about this guy who is really into her, but hasn't called her back, but he's super sweet, and he serenaded her at karaoke the other night, and you know, she just doesn't get karaoke, but she sees how it could be really fun for someone, but she could never get up there and sing, because that would be SO embarrassing.

But really what I don't like about her is the fact that I have to do extra work because she's just used to people doing work around and for her. She'll just leave basic things undone and wander off because it doesn't occur to her that it is, in fact, her job to do them.

Other than that, work's going alright. I think I hit upon one of the main reasons why I'm able to maintain a fairly perky demeanour at this particular place. I feel like I'm in costume, and it's a ridiculous costume, and therefore I put some effort into staying in character. I have been accepted by the rest of the staff--they've decided I'm clearly more insane than they are, and I think they respect that.

The other restaurant is actually opening tomorrow, so life should get pretty busy. This is excellent news, because I'm thinking of many things I want to spend money on, so, you know, I'd like to have some.

Also, I straight up LOVE The Office. I listened to one of the commentary tracks, and they sound like they have the most amazing time filming it. The only job I really loved was the costume shop. I was cleaning and organizing, yes, but cleaning and organizing interesting things. The shifts I spent in the hat room were fabulous. It's possible I'm more than averagely crazy.

2 comments:

Bianca Reagan said...

you can just TELL, that she is one of those girls that is used to getting things because she's tiny and pretty

I hate to admit that I don't like those girls either. It's mostly because, since the age of 8, I've never been tiny or pretty. Puberty took its toll. Therefore, I've had to work super hard for everything I've gotten. I feel bad, because even though my jealousy is somewhat validated, I don't like being discriminatory. Sigh.

Susan said...

I hear that. I don't want to be a woman that hates other women; however, while I like being considered pretty, but I like being considered competent more. I mean, technically it's not their FAULT that they're tiny and pretty, but not being aware of that and what that means irritates me endlessly. It's nice when you get something because you're a girl, but to EXPECT it is a whole other matter. I take enough money to pay for the amount I want to drink or eat when I go out, and I have no compunction about buying dinner for my dates--in fact, some times I prefer it, just so I don't feel like I owe him anything. Or feel bad when I refuse to see him again. But that has more to do with commitment issues.