Tuesday, July 10, 2007

these apples are delicious... can all this food be free?

So, the restaurant that Toni has aptly described as the "Mickiest of Mickey Mouse operations" has finally opened its doors. I have to say, the food is extremely delicious. There were a few points tonight that I pretty much decided to take off and accept my losses, but I stuck it out. AND, I served Steven Page beer! And got a polite laugh out of him! AND didn't fall all over myself gushing. It was fabulous. I'm probably going to have to keep this job, just for the minor celebs. Paul Venoit was in on Sunday (make-up artist on cycle one of CNTM). I couldn't place him, though, and it wasn't until after he'd left that someone mentioned who he was.

I also befriended a local playwright who's working on a play about Conrad Black and Barbara Amiel. So far, the crowd at this place is much more interesting than the downtown one. I really enjoy the Annex. Hopefully, I'll enjoy working there. I'm way ahead of everyone when it comes to the computers, because both restaurants are using the same software, so that's good. I'm getting along reasonably well with my coworkers so far; there's only one I don't really like. I suspect her of being somewhat dim-witted, but not affably so. Also, there are some politics to navigate--some people were friends previous to working there, and a few of the servers are close friends of the managers, so until I have all the dynamics worked out, it's going to be a matter of feeling out every situation as it goes. Furthermore, I have moderate to severe doubts about some of their methods, but I'm going to sit back and shut up until they see the problems on their own, or I am proved wrong.

It is unspeakably good to be employed after those long dry months. Now I just have to re-beef up my bank account, and I can direct my attention back to my existential qualms.

No comments: