Sunday, October 22, 2006

the other thing about community theatre is that it's like a black hole... you don't escape once you're in that orbit

So one of my coworkers, Martin, just got the EXACT SAME RING TONE AS ME. This probably means that we're soulmates, but it also means that I have to at least consider changing it again. It literally took me hours to pick that one in the first place, so I'm probably going to leave it. But I'm going to consider other options. I think the best of all scenarios would be if Martin and I were hanging out and then the song came on and we both scrambled for our phones like dorks. Seriously though, what are the odds?

The Sound of Music is on at our local community theatre, which, joy of joys, meant that hordes of community theatre types and the associated children descended on the restaurant at eleven thirty. I was actually thinking about seeing it, because one of the regulars is playing Max, and he's a total sweetheart. But now? NO. The restaurant was filled with bratty hyper kids demanding refills and ice cream and screaming while their parents drink beer. Trying to keep straight who was paying for what when parents are cancelling their children's orders and splitting nachos with other mothers was not an exercise in fun. Plus, half the orders were under Martin's ID, and half under mine, because in their desperate quest for food and beer, people just yelled orders at whichever red shirt they saw first. So I had to chase down Martin and say things like, "The lady who's having a soda at table 33's kid, who's at table 22, wants some ice cream." The nature of our computer system is such that combining bills is a total bitch, so the best way to do things is to ring each family's orders in together.

Basically, kill me. And my coworkers kept being all, theatre folk? Aren't they your people anyway? Now, tell me if I'm being unreasonable when I say that I have a BAH in Drama, and therefore have the divine RIGHT to be snobby towards community theatre. Please, can't I be elitist about something? These are suburban upper-middle class types with a hobby. I live the life, people! I'm not officially a struggling actor yet, but oh, I will be. And in the meantime, I'm slinging rootbeer suds and listening to a horde of amateurs stroke each others' egos. It's unimaginably depressing. I know I'm far from being a professional actor, but I've at least got a leg up on SOMEONE in this world, right?

No comments: