Tuesday, October 10, 2006

we won't let the others bleed us dry

So I made the mistake of telling one of my coworkers about my unrequited infatuation with that laptop guy, and she practically interviewed him yesterday. And then set me up to serve him when he came in again today. AND told everyone else who was working, so for the rest of the night all I heard was, "So, how's your boyfriend doing?" And everyone had to walk by his table and check him out. And I'm almost positive that if he'd been paying attention, he could have heard most of the discussion surrounding him, because the kitchen is never a subtle place in our restaurant.

And apparently the kitchen guys have a theory that I'm a freak in bed.

Not much actual working took place today, as you may have guessed. Besides a party of seventeen demanding Irish people, I wasn't very busy. Despite the fact that they all said, "Thank you, love," in a charming accent, I pretty much hated them. I am TOO doing something with my acting skillz.

Thanksgiving was pleasant, despite the inevitable questions surrounding my future. I hate feeling like I have to justify myself to my relations, even though I will never have the kind of life they'll understand or respect. I'll never have a "real" job, and I don't plan on getting married, spawning, and settling in suburbia. But explaining that takes too much energy, and I don't have the kind of diplomatic skills that would allow me to negotiate that conversation without implying that I consider them "the man" in my "damn the man" lifestyle. My uncle asked me how the job hunting was going, and I said, "Job hunting?! I HAVE a job." The wind went out of my sails when he asked what I was doing and I said waitressing, but it was a good moment for a second there.

Alright, here are some fantabulous music videos for you to enjoy:





5 comments:

Peter Lynn said...

A freak in bed? I like the cut of your jib.

Susan said...

Hey, that's an unconfirmed rumour that is being perpetuated by some guys who will never, ever, find out for sure.

...Beds are overrated anyway. *WINK*

Peter Lynn said...

See, it seems like you just kind of confirmed the general gist of what they're saying. Not a bad thing, mind you.

Susan said...

Ahh, but they don't read my blog! Me so sneaky.

Peter Lynn said...

As one who knows all too well, I can only say this: Don't be so sure about that.